Wednesday, January 20, 2010

If you have a goal, you better have a plan :)

I've always enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment after a good workout. Little did i know, my workouts were not worthy of my "accomplished" feelings. For years I had no idea what I was doing, I just thought I did. My workouts consisted of machines and the treadmill , talking with friends, and of course abs, abs, and more abs. My best friend was the treadmill and dumbbells were the enemy. My goal was to be toned. No muscles for me! so weights were out! I would leave the gym with the calories burned in mind and head straight to my favorite bagel shop :) This was my regime for about 5 years. This period is what I like to call my 5 year plateau. I saw absolutely no results for that time. Finally , I gave in to those dumbbells! I learned that in order to achieve my goals I would need to pick up those weights and workout smart. You can't just go to the gym without a plan. Just like anything in life, you need to have goals in mind and a means to get there with a plan. certain muscle groups have to be worked on certain days in a certain order. you need to have what is called a "training split", it is your exercise plan. There are many types of splits, you just have to find the right one for you. Your age, fitness level, goals, injuries, and time are all taken into account when choosing a split that will maximize results.

Tips:

Before I get into different types of splits there are a few things to keep in mind.

*Big to small: you should work from bigger muscle groups to the smaller ones.
For example, on an upper body day you would work the back, chest, shoulders, biceps, and then triceps.

*REST: Next, make sure you allow the muscles you have worked enough rest. If you work your legs on a Monday, do not work them out again on tuesday. When you lift, your muscle fibers tear and in order for them to repair, they need rest. The tear and repair process is essential whether your goal is to tone or build big muscles. If you over work your muscles you will not reach your goals and are at a higher risk for injuries.

*Mix it up!: your body will eventually get used to your split. The effectiveness of your split will be minimal if you don't shock your muscles by changing your workout. This can be done by altering:
-the number reps
- weight used
- time of rest in between sets
- try a new training split


Types of splits:


*Total body split: If you are a beginner you should begin with a total body workout 2-3 days a week. As this becomes easier, you can add a day, increase reps or weight, or change your split.
A total body consists of a workout that involves (chest, back, core, shoulders, lower body, biceps and triceps)

* upper and lower body split: work your upper body one day and lower body the next

*push and pull split: Some of your muscles aid in the pulling action while others help push. For example, the chest helps push, while your back muscles are responsible for pulling.



* 3 day split: working from big to small you may want to try a split such as the following:
-day one: chest/back/core
-day two: lower body/shoulders
-day three: biceps/triceps

These are just a few examples, there are so many different ways to split your workout.
Finally, do not be afraid to lift heavier! If you have been doing 3 sets of 15 for a while now, switch it up! Try 3 sets of 12 and grab a heavier weight. The rule of thumb is that if you are not struggling by the last few reps, you need to move up in weight! If you cannot finish the number of reps, do as many as you can with the heavier weight and then drop down to the lighter weight. Eventually, you will get stronger ( and toned :) ) and will be able to finish the full amount of reps.

No comments:

Post a Comment